With #NationalBakingWeek finally upon us, we decided it was the perfect time to share one of our favourite dog-friendly recipes with you. This delicious grain-free cake recipe is perfect for giving your playful pooches a tasty treat, that you know is good for them and full of nutritious goodies!
Preparation Time: 5-7 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Overall Time: 25-27 minutes
Serving Size: Decision dependant on size of doggy
½ Apple (finely chopped)
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
1) Start your doggy cake baking project by preheating your oven to 350*. This will get the oven to a nice temperature by the time it comes to putting your mixture in to bake.
2) Grab a mixing bowl and mix all of the ingredients together. Keep mixing the ingredients until you get a smooth mixture.
3) Using grease or baking paper, line a muffin or small cake tin and fill with the smooth mixture you have just made.
4) Pop your muffin or cake tin into the oven for 20 minutes and leave your mixture to bake until it has gone a golden-brown colour. The best way to check that your cake is cooked throughout is to place a knife into the centre of the cake, if the knife comes out clean then your cake is ready. If you find there is still some soft mixture on the knife then you should leave your cake for another 3-4 minutes and check again.
5) Once baked, leave your cake to cool down on the side (out of reach from your furry friend). Leave the cake for a good five minutes to enable it to cool down properly.
6) Using your fingers, gently press different areas of the cake to ensure it’s cool enough to feed to your dog. If you want to add extra detailing then add a touch of peanut butter to the top for icing. You could even add a few of their favourite treats to the top of the cake if you want to go that extra step further!
7) Now it’s time to give them their tasty cake and get those tails wagging!
This recipe has been tried by many of our Foss Friends and has been a very successful choice. Please note that baking soda should never be directly fed to dogs, as it is a highly toxic powder. Mixing a small amount of baking soda into a treat, however, is absolutely fine and will not cause any problems for your pup!
We always like seeing photos of your gorgeous pets and would love to see the tasty cakes you create, so feel free to share your snaps with us on Facebook or Twitter, using the tag #FossFriends! You can also send your snaps via messenger! We can’t wait to see your baking skills!